Ready for a break from the heat and humidity!

Final update on the weekend: Still raining, and the dam upstream is now pumping water through at over 16kcfs, double what it was just 6 hours ago.   To make it quick, we're completely underwater until sometime next week at least.  For you private boaters, I really don't recommend trying to get out there. 

Previous update: May 28, 11:10am

Well sh*t. The storms stalled out right over the central river valley and the dams up there have now started dumping water (~12.5kcfs right now).  That water will start getting to us right around Friday evening and looks to last through the weekend at least.  Our limit for trips is 15kcfs (when almost all sandbars are underwater) which we're likely to go over by the time all of the tributaries between here and the upstream dam are added to the mix so we're officially calling off this weekend.

You can see what's coming with the image below (forecasts typically update twice a day).  Sandbars appear below 13.5' and this station is ~12-18 hours upstream of us.

Previous update: May 27 1:51pm

This upcoming weekend is looking excellent! Words I haven't used to describe a spring day in years...  A high pressure system will be moving in Friday setting us up for a dry, sunny, high 60s/low 70s weekend and low winds from the south (i.e. mostly not headwind).  As a bonus, this might be the last weekend of no mosquitoes for a while. 

There is a small risk of rising water as the cold front associated with this high pressure system is expected to cause widespread rain tomorrow (Thursday) however it does appear to be sparing most of the river valley up north and soil conditions currently have room for about 3" of water before runoff picks up substantially (and thus quickly rising river levels).  We've also got a lot of capacity to spare as sandbars are well above water at the moment.  Long story short, I'll keep an eye on water levels over the next couple days but I don't think it's going to cause any trouble.

As for corona watch, buses are still limited to ~10 people and no gear so drivers only while all passengers and gear must be dropped off at the starting point for your trip (more details in your confirmation emails).  Hard to say what the density of people might be on water given the lack of many other open alternative activities in the area.  Memorial Day weekend had way more locals than usual but I have to imagine we'll be back to usual early season low numbers of people, especially with the cooler fall like weather.


Memorial Day Weekend Outlook

Update: The weather forecast has firmed up a bit. Looks like a strong pressure wave will be moving through our area Saturday afternoon evening bringing a few hours of showers and a line of storms. The concern for severe weather is low, up to 5% chance according to NOAA. That said, expect some wind blast ahead of any storm that pops up. Maybe read up on storm safety. Sunday and Monday also have chances of precipitation due to the remaining hot, humid weather moving in behind Saturday's wave. Probability is low, but it is possible something could set off a chain of storms. Total rainfall is currently pegged at half an inch Saturday and less than a quarter inch both Sunday and Monday. Water levels will be something to watch but I don't expect it to be a problem. Saturday day trips may want to plan for an early afternoon finish.  Trips could also be moved later into the weekend, just let us know. -Ryan ===================== May 18, 5:01pm Our first trips of the year start this Saturday. The weekend is looking downright hot and water levels are where we need them to be for sandbar camping (pending the impact of wet weather we had today). If there's a downside to the weekend forecast, it's the chance of storms popping up. Current NWS confidence is low so we'll keep an eye on it but currently gives us a 50% chance of getting wet. I'd expect we'll get at least one or two rolling storms but again, it will be more certain later this week. This weekend also brings our first test of the new COVID distancing rules. If you've got a trip, please read your emails so you know what to expect. Passenger/gear drop off upstream is mandatory* and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings if I can't let you on the bus. *Not including those with extenuating circumstances (read:kids and one adult) that have already cleared it with us. Here's to hoping that forecast stays warm and gets dry! Ryan PS: To answer a lot of recent emails, yes, we are open with some limitations - all of these limitations are accounted for in our booking system. If you can book a trip, we're running. If you can't, we're not.

Getting the season started

To maintain social distancing requirements, our buses are currently restricted to ~10 seats per shuttle and no gear. Until restrictions ease, it is mandatory to drop off passengers and gear at the starting point before sending only the drivers to park and shuttle from the finish point. Only drivers and lap gear will be allowed to board the bus.  To monitor capacity, our reservation system is limiting each reservation to a single shuttle seat though it's likely each group could have up to four drivers on the bus if able to maintain distance from other groups. If no room remains, those extra drivers will need to self-shuttle a car. If you want to self shuttle and avoid the bus completely, great!

As Wisconsin's restrictions are adjusted, we'll keep you updated through this page as well as pre-trip confirmation emails in addition to updating our reservation system accordingly.  If you need to reschedule or cancel your trip we will default to issuing a full refund for any COVID related adjustments.  Our normal full refund until 7 days before departure policy is also still in place. 

If you have any questions or would like clarifications, please don't hesitate to send us a message (email is best given I can send those after hours - you know, because three kids under four).

For details on our disinfection process, read all about it on our COVID page.