No Rain to Too Much Rain

This one caught us a little off guard.  Water levels had been handling the rainfall this past week without issue (not surprising given the relatively low amount of rainfall so far this summer) but seems like the ground took on all it could earlier this week.  Water levels at Castle Rock dam (48 hours upstream) have jumped up significantly in the last two hours and are expected to stay there for at least the next couple days.  

Long story short, sandbars will be in extremely short supply beginning Friday morning and continuing through the 4th of July weekend.  If you have a trip going out this weekend, particularly overnight, you can cancel for a full refund by replying to the confirmation email.  It’s still a little early to know if we’ll be able to send out overnight trips for the groups that want to risk it and by default we still recommend cancelling.  Where everything stands right now, it’s doable, but I’d like to see those water levels stabilize for a day or two before confirming.

On the graph below, ideally we stay below 13.5′ for normal conditions.  Above 14′ is usually a no go.  Forecast updates twice a day. The silver lining, very dry forecast and not a lot of rain in the southern part of the state that will contribute to higher water levels below the gauges (where most of the guessing comes into play).  At most, we should be back to normal by Tuesday.